Saturday, August 17, 2013

Life Lessons From Philippians

I have many favorite passages in the Bible but Philippians must be my favorite book. I tend to go back to it again and again, re-reading the same verses I've long since underlined and highlighted.

Within its four short chapters I find enough verses to challenge me for a lifetime. Here are a few:



Philippians 2:5~
Attitude check! Maybe this was the verse that spurred the whole WWJD? movement. I don't know that for sure, but I do know there isn't a day that goes by that I don't need this reminder. Is my heart where it needs to be? Does my attitude line up with Christ or does my attitude stink?


This one is a lifetime challenge in and of, itself:



Philippians 2:14~
Yeah, I admit it. This was our back-to-school verse this week. I also admit that it wasn't just for the kids. It was for me. It still is for me. "Do everything without complaining or arguing." Really, God? Everything? Let that word "everything" stew for just a moment and see how far you get. If you are like me, you'll start complaining about this verse or arguing how impossible it is to follow. Thankfully, there's another verse in the Bible about nothing being impossible with God.


Here's a great two-parter:



Philippians 4:4-7~
Rejoice in the Lord always. Then the writer repeats the direction: Again, I say, Rejoice! These words always and everything stir up something inside of me. Can it really be done, Lord? Not apart from Him. Verse 6 is where it really starts to get me. Through prayer we can trade in our anxiety for peace. What a deal! Sign me up! Yet, I know that many times when I am anxious, I turn to everyone and everything but prayer. If only I could remember to turn to him first. I hand him my darkness, the crumpling piece of coal. He returns to my hands a shining light, a dazzling diamond. Anxiety for peace.

Philippians 4:6-9~
Another way to have peace in our lives is to keep our minds focused on these things: whatever things that are true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent, and praiseworthy.
I am compelled to believe that keeping our hearts and minds on good things keeps us from anxiety in the first place and guides us to have a better attitude. Without a doubt, a better attitude will keep us from complaining and arguing.

So, today I rejoice to be alive! I rejoice for God's goodness and provision in my life! I think of all the wonderful things He has done for me and I praise Him. I turn my worries and fears over to Him and receive his peace. I set my thoughts to Him and already feel a better attitude coming over me.

I am thankful for the answers He has given us. All we have to do is take the time to read His love letter to us!

Do you have a book in the Bible that you are drawn back to over and over again?

Smile :) donnamusing

No comments: