Sunday, July 29, 2012

The Song In My Daughter's Heart

My daughter sings all the time, ALL the time. From sun-up to sun-down. In the bathtub, on the swing, while folding laundry, while running the swiffer across the floor (her favorite chore), even in the middle of a movie.

(Sometimes, I have to ask her to turn it off.) It doesn't matter if we have music playing, if she has a song in her heart then she WILL sing it over top of my Pandora station. ;)

She is always singing to God. Songs of thankfulness, songs of love, songs of praise.
She always asks if we like her song and proclaims that she knows God loves it. Of course, I wholeheartedly agree!

In one of her songs, she says, "We love you, God, because You are the only God we got."
What a simple lyric but so profound.

You see, my children are adopted. They've had a 'tougher' life than many of their peers. We are the 12th place she has lived- could you even imagine being moved 12 times before starting Kindergarten?!
She had several 'families' before us, her FOREVER family. Yet, through it all, she had one God- and so she sings what is in her heart: "We love you, God, because You are the only God we got."
She is a trooper, a survivor, and my little hero!

Through it all, she has grown thankful instead of bitter. She will proclaim that Jesus was with her through every move. She knows that God answered her prayers for a family, in HIS time. She speaks of God's faithfulness in such a way that challenges me to trust HIM more. And, she sings because she has a song in her heart. 

One moment when she particularly challenged me was a few nights ago- when laying down for bed and saying her prayers. She prayed, "Thank you, God, for my talents. Thank you for my good singing voice so I can sing to you. I love you, Lord. Amen."

Be challenged by her faith: What talents has God given you? Are you using them for Him?

Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity. 1 Timothy 4:12

No comments: