Sunday, September 22, 2013

Sharing in Sorrow

These past couple weeks, I have shared many sorrows with several friends that I love dearly.

Although the grief is not my own, I share in their anguish. Tears have filled my eyes and overflowed as I lift each one up in prayer. I cannot fathom the heartaches each is facing. 

I have even caught myself enjoying my day and then, remembering each hurting friend, bow in remembrance.

Different circumstances. Diverse losses. Still, sorrow. 

Sorrow: the expression of sadness, grief
            affliction, agony, anguish
            distress, mourning, pain

This morning, as I sang these words:

When darkness seems to hide His face
I rest in his unchanging grace
In every high and stormy gale
My anchor holds within the veil

I can relate to those words. In moments of darkness, I've felt that God was somehow hiding himself from me. But He isn't; His grace is unchanging, unwavering, immovable. He is faithful. I'm anchored in His love.

The song continues:

Christ alone; Cornerstone
Weak made strong, in the Saviour's love
THROUGH THE STORM, HE IS LORD
LORD OF ALL

I needed this reminder today. Even in the storms of life, when the waves beat upon us, when we don't think we can take the sorrow, He is Lord.

I continue to pray that my friends will somehow see God in the midst of their circumstances, rest in His unchanging grace, receive God's strength for their weakness, and remember even in the darkest of times, He is Lord.



"Surely He has taken up our griefs, and carried our sorrows." Isaiah 53:4



No comments: