Tuesday, October 23, 2012

To "waste" food or "waist" food?

My two children are so OPPOSITE!

My daughter almost never over indulges, even if she is eating the most delicious banana split covered in chocolate, strawberries, whipped cream and of course, a cherry on top. She has amazing restrain to stop when she is full.

My son on the other hand will have finished his own banana split, to the point he is already miserable and will beg to finish hers off. Then, he will spend the rest of the afternoon begging God to ease the ache in his tummy, promising to never eat too much ever again.

I tend to fall somewhere in the middle. But unfortunately I do tend to "waist" food instead of "waste" food. Even if I'm full, if it tastes good then I'm probably going to find a small corner of my stomach to stuff it in.

This familiar scene with my kids played out the other day. I told my daughter that I wished for her amazing self-control. Which of course led me to explain the definition of gluttony. They were surprised to realize that over-indulgence is a sin.

During this conversation, a friend pointed out to my son and daughter, "Isn't it great that God loves us enough to forgive us of all the silly things we do?" That is so true! And while I'm thankful for every seed bearing plant He provided in the Garden of Eden, I am also thankful for banana splits and caramel lattes!

And let's be honest, as I've heard Lisa Whelchel say, "Carbs can't be all that bad or Jesus would not have called himself the BREAD of Life!" ;)

Maybe next time, my daughter and I should get one banana split to share. Less to "waste" and less to "waist!"

Smile :) donnamusing

No comments: